Many of us are aware that we have to eat our veggies, lean meats, good fats, and healthy carbs to be generally healthy. I like to stick to this general health protocol too. But sometimes, we need an extra boost in our health game. That’s where supplements come in! Supplements are true to their name, and they “supplement” or add to our generally healthy way of living. BUT, there are soooo many supplements out there it can be hard to know or choose which to take. That’s why I wanted to share my go-to-supps. I get all (well, almost all… you’ll see at the end of this post!) my supplements from Live Momentous. I always want to make sure I am putting quality supplements in my body, and Live Momentous does a great job of providing premium products with high quality ingredients and the most rigorous testing for banned substances I’ve had the opportunity to see. It makes it so much easier to decide what supplements to take.
So here they are, my go-to supps:
1. Collagen Peptides
I take collagen peptides in the morning with electrolytes right before my first workout.
Why do I take collagen?
- Daily consumption promotes long-term joint health.
- It is proven to aid rehab and return from injury (it contributes to the regeneration of cartilage and tendons).
- Promotes skin, hair, and nail health.
2. Omega- 3 Fish oils
I take fish oils in the morning & evening. Each serving has 1500mg combined EPA and DHA in a 1:1 ratio, which is ideal when taking fish oils.
Why do I take these fishy pills?
- Improves risk factors for heart disease like high cholesterol, triglyceride levels, and blood pressure.
- Fights inflammation and aids proper inflammatory responses. Aka, it improves recovery, which is super important with all the training I do.
- Excellent for brain development and function.
- Fish oils have been shown to improve range of motion.
I take 5g of creatine after each workout session. Some cool things about creatine are that it is an amino acid that supports increased energy production and muscle power output. Its primary role is to recycle adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the main energy source for muscle and brain cells. Creatine also promotes lean body mass and cognitive function.
Why do I take this powerhouse supp?
- Strength and power development
- Increased energy production
- Lean muscle development
- Improved Brain function
- Antioxidant properties
4. Essential Whey Protein
It can be hard to get enough protein in, especially when I have a day off from training. So for me the essential protein is an easy way to get extra protein in by adding it into a smoothie or oatmeal. I love the chocolate protein. ;)
Why do I muscle up with whey protein?
- Increases muscle mass and strength
- Boosts your metabolism and burns fat
- Quickens the body's recovery process after strenuous exercise or injury
5. Essential Plant-Based Protein
Okay, so I have to confess, while I do use whey protein, I try to limit it to once a day. I like to take plant-based protein as well. I usually use this after my AM session, and I also like to add this to my smoothies.
Why I go plant-based?
- Unlike many other plant-based proteins, this one provides a complete profile of all nine essential amino acids not made by the body.
- Plant-based protein can also increases muscle mass and strength.
6. Recovery Protein
Whey protein. Plant-based protein. Now recovery protein. I take recovery protein after my PM training session. Recovery protein is designed to help with the recovery process after workouts with the added carbohydrates to help with energy and boost recovery.
Why I use this to recover?
- It has a two 2:1 protein to carb ratio. This ratio has just enough carbs to raise blood sugar and decrease cortisol, which increases the absorption of amino acids and improves muscle recovery.
- It has L-Glutamine, which is important for a healthy digestive and immune system function and the healing of injuries and muscle cell repair.
- It has L-Carnitine. This has been shown to benefit performance, with studies showing improvements in running speed, oxygen, heart rate, and lactic acid.
I use Live Momentous FUEL as my go to intra-carbohydrates during my longer aerobic sessions and love how it tastes.
Why I take Fuel?
Did you know that carbs are the preferred fuel source for our brain? They’re necessary to fuel high intensity efforts and they improve exercise performance for any efforts lasting longer than 60 minutes.
As an athlete, I put a lot of stress on my body and need to prioritize proper recovery.
Why I use Magnesium?
Supports muscle and nerve function: As an athlete, you put a lot of stress on your body, and magnesium is a mineral that helps support healthy muscle and nerve function.
Promotes better sleep: Quality sleep is essential for optimal performance and recovery, and magnesium is known to promote better sleep by helping to regulate the sleep-wake cycle.
There you have it! My go-to daily supplements. I hope this information can help you evaluate and decide what you could add to help support your training or just everyday health. You can find more amazing supplements on Live Momentous HERE.